The Stevens Point Curling Club plans to build a dedicated ice facility that can support current programming and expand opportunities for youth, senior, and wheelchair curlers to participate in the sport. In addition to league curling, bonspiels, and championships, this expanded facility will offer the space needed to host special interest groups and school classes of all ages.
The Portage County Curling Facility will be located in Lake PacawaPark in the Village of Plover. The facility is a key component of the village’s long-term plan for the redevelopment of the park, which is nestled between Hoover Avenue South and Interstate 39. The location is easily accessible for all residents of Portage County and visitors to the area from greater Wisconsin and across the nation.
The approximately 20,000 square foot facility will feature four curling sheets, which will double the number of people who can currently curl at any given time. The design allows for an expansion of two additional sheets should be needed.
- wheelchair accessibility
- tiered "warm room" to optimize spectator viewing options
- professional-grade kitchen, with a fireplace, numerous tables, and comfortable sofas for socializing.
The space will also be available for use by other community organizations and for rentals during the spring and summer.
Benefits to the Community
A state-of-the-art, four-sheet curling facility in Portage County will:
- Improve Portage County quality of life by ensuring affordable access to a winter sport that can be played in all weather conditions.
- Meet the growing demand for interscholastic youth curling programs in area high schools and junior high schools, and promote curling to other youth groups/organizations.
- Improve access to winter sport for residents with developmental and physical challenges, including those requiring the use of wheelchairs.
- Attract more tourist dollars to Portage County through hosting larger multiple day curling tournaments, known as bonspiels, and national championships.
- Serve as an additional community facility to host non-profit groups and other activities to benefit Portage County.
- Enhance community pride with the addition of a first class facility in the heart of curling country.